[Mailman-Users] Cron gate news Illegal Command

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Jun 17 18:57:03 CEST 2007

Michael Ballard wrote:

>I recently installed mailman 2.1.9-2 via RPM on Fedora Core 6.
>
>Everything seems to be working fine except every 5 minutes I receive the
>following error via my mailman list:
>
>"Illegal command: /usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news"
>
>root is sending it.

I don't know what would be causing this. Is there any other information
in the emailed error or anything in Mailman's logs, particularly
'error' and 'fromusenet'?

Do any of your lists have gateway_to_mail set to Yes?

What happens if you 'su mailman' and try to run
/usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news ?

>/usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news/ has the same permissions as the other cron
>jobs in //usr/lib/mailman/cron/
>
>I edited /usr/lib/mailman/cron/crontab.in/, commenting out what I thought
>the offending line was:
>
>"0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * mailman
>/usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news"
>"# 0,5,10,15,20,25,30,35,40,45,50,55 * * * * mailman
>/usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news"
>
>After editing the file, I restart mailman as root, so the cron permissions
>are all correct.

The crontab.in file is not the running crontab. The RPM probably
installs that file in /etc/cron.d/mailman which is the file you'd have
to edit to stop running the /usr/lib/mailman/cron/gate_news command.