[Mailman-Users] Troublesome Mailman Errors

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Jun 21 07:46:40 CEST 2007

George Booth wrote:

>There was indeed a very large digest.mbox for one of the lists (not for the
>one we've been having issues with, though), so I removed the digest.mbox
>(that list is set up to be used as a departmental email address, so there
>are only 2 recipients on the list and they weren't digesting anyway), and
>that removed the MemoryErrors I've been seeing. BTW, I should mention that
>my version of Mailman is 2.1.5
>However, now I'm getting different errors. When I restarted Mailman after
>removing the digest.mbox file, the errors were:

Various errors and tracebacks snipped.

In your OP you said

>I've also come across a suggestion to add the line
> " self.__conn.set_debuglevel(1)" to the SMTPDirect.py file and
> restarted Mailman, but that hasn't seemed to help either.

No, but if it is still there it will definitely cause multiple problems
of the type you are seeing with your Python version (2.3.?)

That suggestion is only applicable to Python 2.4 and above. See

>At this point, I'm at a loss. I've gone through the steps outline in the FAQ
>entry "4.78. Troubleshooting: No mail going out to lists members", and all
>seems well there. Only other thing I can think of is that under my
>/var/mailman/locks directory, I have the following:
>[root at mail1 locks]# ls -al
>total 8
>drwxrwsr-x   2 root    mailman 4096 Jun 20 13:30 .
>drwxrwsr-x  21 root    mailman 4096 Jun 19 20:02 ..
>-rw-rw-r--   2 mailman mailman   53 Jun 21  2007 master-qrunner
>-rw-rw-r--   2 mailman mailman   53 Jun 21  2007
>-rw-rw-r--   1 mailman mailman   53 Jan 18  2006
>[root at mail1 locks]#
>I don't know if these are required or if I should delete them, or if they
>even have anything whatsoever to do with the issue at hand. I did find it
>odd that two of them seem to be dated as June 21, 2007, which is tomorrow
>(assuming I read that correctly), although a check of the "date" command on
>the server shows the correct date and time.

I'm not sure about the date issue, but those are the mailmanctl locks
that attempt to prevent you starting (not restarting) Mailman when
it's already running. Those locks should be there and are not the
cause of your problems.

If you still have the self.__conn.set_debuglevel(1) in SMTPDirect.py,
remove it, and then let us know if there are any errors/problems

Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net>       The highway is for gamblers,
San Francisco Bay Area, California    better use your sense - B. Dylan

More information about the Mailman-Users mailing list