[Mailman-Users] Troublesome Mailman Errors

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Jun 21 16:40:41 CEST 2007

George Booth wrote:

>Removing that line indeed caused our listserv mail to flow once again. You
>are a genius! I still got a failure showing up in the /var/log/mailman/post
>log when when I tried sending a test message to the list that hasn't been
>delivering to everyone, but I'm just glad the mail is flowing again. :)

OK. That's good. Now we can get back to the original non-delivery
problem.

>And
>I guess Mailman is using the 2.3 installation of Python on our system;

The tracebacks in your posts showed Python library modules loaded from
/usr/lib/python2.3 so that's the version Mailman is using.

> I did
>a search on Python to see which version we were using, and it appears we
>have both 2.3 and 2.6.16 installed (I'd thought maybe we were using the
>2.6.16 until I saw the 2.3 version up there - I'll ask the server admins to
>verify that).

I don't know what 2.6.16 would be. The latest Python is 2.5.1.

>I also did still see the smtp error in the /var/log/mailman/error log when I
>restarted Mailman after removing that line:
>
>Jun 21 05:48:11 2007 (28494) Cannot connect to SMTP server 131.95.82.161 on
>port smtp
>
>But since mail is flowing, I don't know if I should even concern myself over
>that or not.

This is different. Last time you reported "Cannot connect to SMTP
server localhost on port smtp". Did you add

SMTPHOST = '131.95.82.161'

to mm_cfg.py in the mean time.

This message comes from OutgoingRunner when SMTPDirect.py is unable to
connect to the server because of a Python library socket.error
exception. It is only logged once, the first time it occurs after
OutgoingRunner is (re)started.

What do you see in Mailman's smtp and smtp-failure logs? There is
something flakey between Mailman and the outgoing MTA. This is quite
possibly the cause of your lost messages, but we need to see some more
clues which may be in the smtp-failure log.

It is puzzling because usually, a "Cannot connect" problem is a hard
failure and no mail goes out at all.

>Anyway, thank you again! Next time I make it to San Francisco, I owe you a
>beer. :)

I'll accept.