[Mailman-Users] Urgent newbie help - "Hit a bug" page

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Mar 3 15:43:07 CET 2007

John Fleming wrote:

>Same thing as before.  Here's the script:
>
>Luke:/var/lib/mailman# cat johntest
>! /bin/sh

This line needs to begin with a '#'

#! /bin/sh

>for list in `/var/lib/mailman/bin/list_lists --bare`
>do echo ----------------------------------
>echo list: $list
>/var/lib/mailman/bin/dumpdb /var/lib/mailman/lists/$list/config.pck | grep advertised
>echo -----------------------------------
>doneLuke:/var/lib/mailman#

And there should be a newline after 'done'

>I don't know what I'm missing about running this script.  Looking through
>the .pck files manually, they all seem to have the attributes real_name,
>language, and advertised - things that appeared in the error log.  Some are
>advertised and some are not, but they all have that entry.

Maybe there's a list you're not looking at. Does 'bin/list_lists' or
'ls -l /var/mailman/lists/' show anything you're not looking at?

>> I have no idea how it got broken. Did you have a system crash? power
>> failure? some similar event?
>
>No, really.  Server on UPS.  There could have been a brief burp, but
>UPS -should've- protected me from that.
>
>I received an email from a list member that a list wasn't working.  I
>restarted qrunner to no avail, rebooted the server to no avail, and then

Was Mailman running when you rebooted? Also, is it possible you had
multiple instances of Mailman running when you rebooted so that a
shutdown script if any didn't stop them all?  See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.068.htp>
- not for the problem, but for the solution.

Do
  ps auxww | egrep 'p[y]thon'
or
  ps -fAww | egrep 'p[y]thon'
or however you might spell it on your system to see that only one
mailmanctl process and one of each of eight qrunner processes are
running.

>restarted qrunner again and then the lists all started working again.  The
>"We hit a bug" webpage problem persisted throughout.
>
>Thanks for your patience - really.  If I resort to my month-old backup,
>should I just replace the /lists directory?  - John

There is probably only one bad list, so no, don't replace the
directory. Find the bad list first and then perhaps replace its
list/listname directory or, if possible, use the config.pck.last or
fix the config.pck.