[Mailman-Users] Upgrade problem

Steve Burling srb at umich.edu
Sun Mar 4 19:43:55 CET 2007

I just tried to upgrade our Mailman 2.1.4 install to Mailman 2.1.9.  I 
didn't get very far -- as soon as I tried to visit the listinfo page, I got 
the "sorry we've hit a bug" message:

Bug in Mailman version 2.1.9

We're sorry, we hit a bug!

Please inform the webmaster for this site of this problem. Printing of 
traceback and other system information has been explicitly inhibited, but 
the webmaster can find this information in the Mailman error logs.

Unfortunately, nothing was written to Mailman's log(s), or to the web 
server's error log.

bin/list_lists happily lists all the lists, so it doesn't look like I've 
got a bad list, at least superficially, so I'm somewhat at a loss as to 
what to do next.

Is there a way I can un-inhibit "printing of traceback and other system 

A little more information, in case it helps:

In our current installation, the mailman directory lives on our mail host, 
and is NFS-mounted by our web server.  Because we're getting ready to 
upgrade both mail host and web server, I made a copy of the mailman 
directory on a volume on our NAS, updated that, and then mounted that on 
the web server in place of the current directory.  That also allowed me to 
drop back and punt when I hit the error.

bin/check_perms only complained about some directories and files that the 
NAS creates, so I don't think it's a permission problem.

All hints gratefully accepted...

Steve Burling                                    <mailto:srb at umich.edu>
University of Michigan, ICPSR                    Voice: +1 734 615.3779
330 Packard Street                               FAX:   +1 734 647.8700
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-2910

More information about the Mailman-Users mailing list