[Mailman-Users] Removing illegal character or duplicated user names - update

Mike Maughan mike.maughan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 19:45:38 CET 2007

To update you on this issue, I have a user whom I managed to subscribe
incorrectly to the list and now cannot remove her.  There appear to be two
hidden subscriptions, neither of which appear in the subscriptions page.

If I leave her normal sub active, she gets three copies of list messages; if
I suspend mail on her (visible) account, she gets 2 copies.

I have diff-ed the full messages she receives in the case of 3 copies, and
apart from some oddments to do (I think) with MIME all emails are identical,
which means the recipient addresses & timestamps are identical ==> all three
emails were produce for the same recipient at the same time by the list
manager.  BTW I've added one of the diff contents to the end of this post
FYI.

My best understanding as of now is that I have managed (by attempting to
subscribe with illegal characters via the mass subscribe) to create two
hidden subscriptions which are active but unmanageable.  I can only see two
possible ways to address this:
1) edit the system-level data defining the subscribers - problematic as I'm
on dreamhost and do not have sysadmin access to the underlying data
2) find a way to create a pattern-match input to 'mass unsubscribe' which
would find and remove the entries.

Speculative scenario: if there are now three identical IDs in the underlying
database, the system may be unable to key on these in order to do anything
with them, but will process them sequentially when creating outgoing posts.

I have copies of the original outbound posts as received by Viv (my
subscriber), plus my diff files, if they are of any use, but as they contain
subscriber data I'm uncomfortable posting them public.

Any thoughts on how to proceed here?  Pretty please? :)

- Mike

Compare: (<)G:\Downloads\!in\viv hart list dupe #1.eml (4765 bytes)
   with: (>)G:\Downloads\!in\viv hart list dupe #3.eml (4765 bytes)

42c42
<     boundary="----=_NextPart_000_006E_01C76497.A8D09630"
---
>     boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0078_01C76497.A8D09630"