[Mailman-Users] Removing illegal character or duplicated user names - update
mike.maughan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 19:45:38 CET 2007
To update you on this issue, I have a user whom I managed to subscribe
incorrectly to the list and now cannot remove her. There appear to be two
hidden subscriptions, neither of which appear in the subscriptions page.
If I leave her normal sub active, she gets three copies of list messages; if
I suspend mail on her (visible) account, she gets 2 copies.
I have diff-ed the full messages she receives in the case of 3 copies, and
apart from some oddments to do (I think) with MIME all emails are identical,
which means the recipient addresses & timestamps are identical ==> all three
emails were produce for the same recipient at the same time by the list
manager. BTW I've added one of the diff contents to the end of this post
My best understanding as of now is that I have managed (by attempting to
subscribe with illegal characters via the mass subscribe) to create two
hidden subscriptions which are active but unmanageable. I can only see two
possible ways to address this:
1) edit the system-level data defining the subscribers - problematic as I'm
on dreamhost and do not have sysadmin access to the underlying data
2) find a way to create a pattern-match input to 'mass unsubscribe' which
would find and remove the entries.
Speculative scenario: if there are now three identical IDs in the underlying
database, the system may be unable to key on these in order to do anything
with them, but will process them sequentially when creating outgoing posts.
I have copies of the original outbound posts as received by Viv (my
subscriber), plus my diff files, if they are of any use, but as they contain
subscriber data I'm uncomfortable posting them public.
Any thoughts on how to proceed here? Pretty please? :)
Compare: (<)G:\Downloads\!in\viv hart list dupe #1.eml (4765 bytes)
with: (>)G:\Downloads\!in\viv hart list dupe #3.eml (4765 bytes)
< Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
> Content-Type: multipart/alternative;
On 11/03/07, Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> wrote:
> Mike Maughan wrote:
> >It is also possible I've discovered a bug, in which case the
> >were a mass subscribe exercise where (in this case) I forgot to add a
> >between the username and the email address, so the input line looked like
> >this "User"<username at domain.com> and the list added them as this "User"
> >username at domain.com.
> I can't quite duplicate this. If I try to add "User"<user at example.com>,
> I add user at example.com with real name User as expected even though
> there is no separating space.
> However, I can add "User"user at example.com> or "User"user at example.com,
> and the address "User"user at example.com gets added with no real name.
> This too is what I would expect (I don't know if we should disallow "
> in an email address).
> The problem, the underlying cause of which I haven't yet identified (it
> probably messes up the post data from the web page), is it appears
> that you can't remove a user with who has a " in the email address by
> checking the unsub box on the membership list. However, you can remove
> this member by entering the address in Mass Removal.
> Mark Sapiro <msapiro at value.net> The highway is for gamblers,
> San Francisco Bay Area, California better use your sense - B. Dylan
More information about the Mailman-Users