[Mailman-Users] mailman accents in welcome message

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Mar 13 19:51:49 CET 2007

Nuno Gonçalves wrote:

>do you guys know where should we configure the accents in mailman messages ?
>
>I would like to send a welcome message to new subscribers with accents, but
>they apear with
>
>à codes like.

Your browser converts the accented characters to the &#nnn; codes when
it submits the form data and Mailman makes no attempt to convert the
codes back.

You can use either bin/withlist or bin/config_list to set welcome_msg
to the desired text, but this is not a real solution because the next
time 'Submit Your Changes' on the General Options page is clicked, the
characters will revert to the &#nnn; codes.

The real solution is to make a list/language specific version of the
subscribeack.txt template as discussed at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.048.htp>.
Note that you can also make/edit a list specific version of this
template via the "Edit the public HTML pages and text files" link on
the admin pages, but this won't work for the same reason setting
welcome_msg doesn't work.