[Mailman-Users] problem with cron

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri May 11 20:32:11 CEST 2007

nikos wrote:

>Hello list.
>I've just install mailman 2.1.9 in a fedora 6 server.
>Everything works fine except cron.
>
>I'm recieving errors like:
>
>You are not allowed to post to this mailing list, and your message has
>been automatically rejected.  If you think that your messages are
>being rejected in error, contact the mailing list owner at
>mailman-owner at myHost.
>
>and subjects:
>

>Cron <mailman at mail> mailman /usr/lib/mailman/cron/nightly_gzip
>Cron <mailman at mail> mailman /usr/lib/mailman/cron/checkdbs

cron is encountering errors and trying to mail them to the owner of the
crontab which is mailman at ...

These mails from cron are being delivered to the 'mailman' list as
posts and the list is not accepting them.

>What did I do wrong?

There may be permission issues or something else causing the cron
errors. You have to see the email which will report the response from
the command cron is running.

The email actually may be attached to the reject notice, but it would
be better to put

MAILTO=user at example.com

at the top of mailman's crontab to get the cron errors mailed to you
directly.

>I've just load contab.in in crontab -umailman
>What will happents If I stop cron for mailman?

None of the periodic jobs such as sending digests, sending pending
request reminders, sending monthly password reminders, gzipping the
archive text files, etc will be run.