[Mailman-Users] where do I edit English messages?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Nov 9 16:56:19 CET 2007

zbigniew szalbot wrote:

>In order to handle some phrases better in Polish, I edited
>/usr/local/mailman/messages/pl/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po followed by
>
>msgfmt -o mailman.mo mailman.po
>
>Then I wanted to do the same for the English language as I find some phrases overly complicated for the current web users.
>
>However, I do not see the English language anywhere in
>/usr/local/mailman/messages/
>
>Where do I edit it?

The English language messages are in the Mailman code. The code
contains things like _('English text'). This causes Mailman's i18n._()
function to look up 'English text' in the messages file for the
current language and present the resultant translation unless the
current language is 'en' in which case, no translation is required.

>I would like to edit this string:
>
>-----
>Your confirmation is required in order to complete the subscription
<snip>
>-----

If you find the "msgid" containing that string in
/usr/local/mailman/messages/pl/LC_MESSAGES/mailman.po, you will see it
is preceded by a comment like:

#: Mailman/Cgi/confirm.py:246

which tells you that the source of that string is the
Mailman/Cgi/confirm.py module around line 246. If you want to change
that string, you have to edit it in the confirm.py module. Then you
also have to edit the corresponding msgid string in the mailman.po
file for each language you allow and rebuild the corresponding
mailman.mo files. Otherwise, the lookup of the edited string will fail
and it won't be translated.