[Mailman-Users] Removing admin email addresses

Jonathan Dill jonathan at nerds.net
Tue Nov 20 06:06:31 CET 2007

Spyro Polymiadis wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Im using mailman 2.1.9, and ive got close to 100 mail lists on it.
>
> We just have had one of our IT guys leave our company, and I was wondering if there was an easy (bulk, cli) way to remove/change the email address from the "List of Administrators" (2nd text box in General Options)
>
> Otherwise, its very a very cumbersome job to log in to each list and remove the address manually.

When I did something similar, I wrote some ad hoc scripts using
"config_list -o" to dump the configs for all of the lists to text
files--saving the "pristine" version in case I needed to undo all the
changes--then use regex replacement to make the changes I wanted and
dump to a "new" config file, then "config_list -i" to load the modified
configurations.  I guess it was about 5 yrs ago, probably with shell
commands and awk, I'm sure it wasn't pretty but it got the job done,
doubt that I have any of the scripts that I used since that was a
previous job.  See "config_list --help" for the options and command
syntax, you might have to login as the mailman user depending how you
have things configured.

Naturally, make sure you have a good backup in case something goes
awry.  Depending on your bravery level, it might be a good idea to do it
when the lists are less active, and possibly shut down the MTA
temporarily or block access to it when you make the changes so you don't
have "bits in flight" when the changes occur and have something untoward
happen with the queue.

Jonathan