[Mailman-Users] Disappearing message

Anne Ramey anne.ramey at ncmail.net
Mon Oct 29 19:00:38 CET 2007

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Anne Ramey wrote:
>

>> <snip>
>>
>>> Way 2 is to modify scripts/post to log something. At the end of the
>>> main() function following:
>>>
>>>     inq = get_switchboard(mm_cfg.INQUEUE_DIR)
>>>     inq.enqueue(sys.stdin.read(),
>>>                 listname=listname,
>>>                 tolist=1, _plaintext=1)
>>>
>>> add
>>>
>>>     print >> sys.stderr, _('post to %(listname)s received and queued')
>>>

>>> This will write the 'post to %(listname)s received and queued' message
>>> with the listname filled in to both the error and post logs for every
>>> post. This again will tell you if the post got to the post script.
>>>

>> <snip>
>>
>> OK, I added this code, but I get this:
>> Oct 26 16:18:41 2007 post(17996): post to %(listname)s received and queued
>> in the error log (it doesn't replace the listname with the variable) and
>> nothing in the post log.  Did I do something wrong?
>>

> Nothing in the post log is correct. I forgot what the
> LogStdErr("error", "post") call in the script does. I thought the
> second argument was a second log, but it's the identifying label.
>
> The non-replacement of %(listname)s with the name is puzzling. The i18n
> _() function should do this replacement. I copied the print directly
> from below and it worked for me. However, you could do the
> interpolation directly as in
>
>     print >> sys.stderr, 'post to %s received and queued' % listname
>
> and that should work.

I tried this and he re-sent the problem child message this morning.  I
got the message in the error log that it was received and queued for
both list1 and list2, but it only went out to list2.  There is only the
one entry in the post log (for list 2), and the message never was
received by the list1 membership.  He later resent (forwarded) the
message to only list1 and it went through fine.  This tells me that
Mailman is correctly receiving the message from exim, queuing it up,
then it vanishes and never gets posted.  Here was the problem:    I was
Bcc'd on the message and these are what the headers looked like (I've
taken out the received headers)

From: "sender" <sender at ncmail.net>
To: <List1 at lists.ncmail.net>
Cc: "'person1'" <person1
@ncmail.net>,
	"'person2'" <person2
@ncmail.net>,
	"'List2'" <List2
@lists.ncmail.net>
Subject: [ITS.CAB] Agenda Change Advisory Board - Oct 30,2007 3:30pm - CCS Conference room
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 10:39:34 -0400

He was copying a message from before that he had received, editting it
and sending it to the list, so it already had the x-been-there headers.
I'd never run into this before, so I thank Mark very much for
recommending the BCC.

Thanks for all the help,
Anne