[Mailman-Users] Mac OS X Leopard upgrade experience

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Mon Oct 29 18:02:55 CET 2007

Hi,

I run Mailman on Linux servers, so I can't actually speak from experiemce,
but I'm a longtime Mac user on the desktop and have followed the launchd
migration.

--On 29. Oktober 2007 11:20:21 -0500 Larry Stone
<lstone19 at stonejongleux.com> wrote:

> 4) System shutdown does not seem to shutdown mailman cleanly anymore
> requiring a 'mailmanctl -s start' to get mailman going. I've changed my
> launchd startup file to add the -s. That obviously adds some risk but at
> least for my environment, it's minimal.

I wonder if the shutdown couldn't be made clean. I don't know if there's a
hook for launchd clients or if Apple uses a certain signal to terminate
processes on shutdown, but I think it *must* be possible to handle this.

> 5) Startup is intermittently(?) failing due to what seems to be a Leopard,
> not mailman, issue. I'm not at all sure what that "Stray process" message
> means and have not turned up anything useful in a web search.
>
> Oct 29 07:36:46 Leoptest mailman[56]: Starting Mailman's master qrunner.
> Oct 29 07:36:46 Leoptest com.apple.launchd[1] (mailman[56]): Stray process
> with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 83 PPID 1 Python
>
> Nothing appears in the mailman logs but unless I'm mistaken, the "Starting
> Mailman's ..." message comes from mailmanctl so mailmanctl is launching
> but then dying with that "Stray process" error.

I haven't heard about that but it seems to me as though launchd notices
that the new process is in the same process group as a previous one that's
died. I suppose that's why it considers the new one a "stray process". A
workaround might be to force a new process group during startup, e.g.
setsid(2) or setpgid(2) ...
--
     .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18.:.
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK