[Mailman-Users] Can admin subscribe users via e-mail?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Mon Oct 29 20:29:31 CET 2007

Rosenbaum, Larry M. wrote:

>We are migrating our lists from Majordomo to Mailman.  Some list owners have been subscribing users to their lists by sending emails which contain lines like this:
>
>approve <password> <subscribe/unsubscribe> listname <email address>
>
>Does Mailman have an equivalent way for list admins to subscribe users via the email interface?  If so, how is it done?

No. The list admin can send the command

subscribe [password] [digest|nodigest] [address=<address>]

to the list-request address, but this is a user subscribe request. the
password if any is the user password to set for the user.

This request is still subject to whatever confirmation/approval is
required by the list for new subscriptions, and there is no way for
the admin to pre-approve it or bypass the user confirmation email if
any.

I think I may have indicated in a previous thread that if the
subscription required admin approval, that could be done by email, but
I just checked and that is not the case.