[Mailman-Users] Cleaning up archive that aren't in mbox format?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Sep 6 03:14:02 CEST 2007

Dennis Carr wrote:
>Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> However, there should be an archives/private/ffml.mbox/ffml.mbox file
>> which contains all posts to the ffml list. Look at that file and see
>> if the From_ line in the body of the Fri Jul 6 00:13:27 PDT 2007
>> Happosai's Life of DOOM #6 post is escaped with a leading '>' or not.
>> It should be.
>
>It isn't named with .mbox, but it is the single file with all the
>messages.  What I'm looking at are the messages, but in some cases you
>get the following:
>
>>From bogus at does.not.exist.com  Fri Jul  6 00:11:24 2007
>From: bogus at does.not.exist.com ()
>Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 07:11:24 -0000
>Subject: No subject
>
>...between parts of the entry, with one line of the message omitted and
>replaced with the above.

Are you sure you aren't looking at the .txt files (e.g.
archives/private/ffml/2007-September.txt) that contain the messages
for the month. This is not what you want. The messages in this file
have been heavily processed by the archiver. It is really just a text
version of the monthly HTML archive.

In addition to the archives/private/ffml directory which contains the
archives there should be an archives/private/ffml.mbox directory that
contains the archives/private/ffml.mbox/ffml.mbox file which has all
(not just one month's) posts as they were delivered to the archiver.

The only reasons why you wouldn't have this is if ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX has
been given some value other than the default 2 or 1 (actually 0 is the
only value other than 2 that would write the html archive), or there
is some permissions issue preventing it from being created or written
at all, but in this latter case, Mailman's 'error' log would be full
of messages about this.