[Mailman-Users] Mailman in chrooted OpenBSD

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Sep 7 16:04:43 CEST 2007

Patrick Valencia wrote:

>I need help setting up mailman in a chrooted OpenBSD environment.  I've
>copied the /usr/local/lib/mailman and /var/spool/mailman directories to
>/var/www/mailman, as well as the modules it needed, but now I'm getting an
>error that says:
>
>Mailman CGI error!!! The Mailman CGI wrapper encountered
>a fatal error. This entry is being stored in your syslog:
>Failure to find group name for GID 67. Mailman
>expected the CGI wrapper to be executed as group
>"www", but the system's web server executed the
>wrapper as GID 67 for which the name could not be
>found.  Try adding GID 67 to your system as "www",
>or tweak your web server to run the wrapper as group
>"www".
>
>I believe that a chrooted apache drops the user name and just holds onto the
>user id.  Can anyone help me out with this?  I really need this installed
>and kinda need to keep the chroot.  If I need to start over with a fresh
>installation of mailman, that's not a problem.  Any and all help would be
>GREATLY appreciated!

I suggest you try install Mailman from source
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/mailman> and configure it with

--prefix=/var/www/mailman

and

--with-cgi-gid=67

as well as the appropriate --with-mail-gid.

Alternatively, there may be a way to set the expected cgi group in
whatever package you installed and you might be able to set that to 67.