[Mailman-Users] Bypassing approval when subscribing list members

Adam Nielsen adam.nielsen at uq.edu.au
Wed Sep 12 04:48:47 CEST 2007

Hi everyone,

I'm setting up some Mailman lists, and I'd like them to be closed lists
so that anyone who subscribes will have to wait until a moderator
approves them first.

However, we'd like e-mail addresses in our own domain to be able to
subscribe to the lists without requiring approval, so that only external
addresses need approving.

Our pre-Mailman system had a web page for subscribing which we'll still
be using, so this page will read the address, verify the domain and then
pass the request on to Mailman via e-mail (which sits on a different
server.)

Unfortunately I can't work out how to send an e-mail subscription
request to Mailman that bypasses the moderator approval.  I tried
including an Approved: header in the e-mail to listname-subscribe at host,
but it was ignored.

Is there any way to allow someone to subscribe others without requiring
moderator approval?  Or alternatively is there some way you can supply a
regular expression for address that do or don't require approval?  There
  is a 'ban list' which could be used to stop external people from
subscribing completely, but it would be nice if we could review these
individual requests instead of just denying them outright.

Thanks,
Adam.