[Mailman-Users] Error when subscribing to list

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Sep 12 20:24:10 CEST 2007

On 9/12/07, Ben Ostrowsky wrote:

>  Since the error was first reported, Red Hat's up2date helpfully
>  installed an rpm version of mailman-2.1.5 on top of our existing 2.1.9
>  installation, but since then I have removed the rpm, run 'make install'
>  from our already-configured source, and run check_perms -f until it
>  reported no errors.

One thing to check is that they didn't install an older version of
Python and the various Python libraries, as part of the older
installation of Mailman.  You need more recent versions of Python and
the libraries for later versions of Mailman.

>  admin(16095): OSError: [Errno 21] Is a directory:
>  '/var/lib/mailman/archives/public/askref'

None of these should be directories.  They should be symlinks over to
corresponding directories in the .../mailman/archives/private/...
directory hierarchy.