[Mailman-Users] urgent: no mail shows up as pending...

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Sep 12 20:29:25 CEST 2007

On 9/12/07, Maulwurf wrote:

>  the list is set to "emergency moderation" - but the message i sent just
>  DOES NOT Show up as pending !!!
>  so i cannot distribute it

Check the logs of your mail server.  Make sure that the message
actually got to Mailman.  Follow the troubleshooting tips in FAQ 4.78
at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.078.htp>.

>  __post
>  Sep 12 09:56:15 2007 (25625) post to esel-mehl from
>  esel-mehl-bounces at esel.at, size=8726,
>  message-id=<mailman.1403.1189583762.11060.esel-mehl at esel.at>, 1 failures

This could be a problem.  You need to look in more depth to see what
the problem is here.

>  __smtp
>  Sep 12 13:08:20 2007 (25625)
>  <mailman.1461.1189595283.11060.esel-mehl at esel.at> smtp to esel-mehl for
>  1 recips, completed in 0.100 seconds

This is just one recipient.  Don't you have more people on your lists
than this?

>  __smtp-failure
>  Sep 12 13:38:27 2007 (25625) All recipients refused: {'gateway at esel.at':
>  (550, '5.1.1 <gateway at esel.at>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown
>  in local recipient table')}, msgid: <mailman.6561.1189597105

This would definitely be a problem.  Your outbound mail server is
rejecting everything.  You need to look at why that's happening and
fix it, but this is a problem with the mail server and not Mailman so
there's not likely to be much that we can do to help.