[Mailman-Users] How to allow mail from domain.edu but no others?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Sep 18 17:40:14 CEST 2007

Chris Waltham wrote:

>I'd like to allow both list members and non-list members to be able
>to post to a mailing list I help admin. So, I want to allow
>*@bowdoin.edu to post, but no other domain names. Is there an easy
>way to do accomplish that? Looking at the web interface, I would
>ordinarily use the member_posting_only feature but that won't work in
>this case (because non-list members need to be able to post to the
>list, so long as they're from *@bowdoin.edu).
>
>Is there a way to accomplish this without involving the MTA? This is
>with mailman 2.0.12 (I know, I know!) on SPARC Solaris.

It's trivial in Mailman 2.1. Just put

^.*@bowdoin\.edu

in accept_these_nonmembers. In Mailman 2.0, the roughly corresponding
list attribute is posters, but posters accepts only addresses, not
regexps matching addresses.

I think your choices are either upgrade or implement a custom handler.
There is information on custom handlers in Mailman 2.1 at
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.067.htp>.
Mailman 2.0 is similar, except the handler pipeline is not in
Defaults.py and thus cannot be manipulated in mm_cfg.py, nor is a list
pipeline attribute recognized. Adding a handler to the pipeline
requires modifying Handlers/HandlerAPI.py, at which point it might be
easier to just modify Handlers/Approve.py to accept posts for that
list from senders in that domain.