[Mailman-Users] Return-Receipt and Outlook 12.0

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Fri Sep 21 23:39:38 CEST 2007

Kevin J Dunlap wrote:

>I am seeing "Uncaught bounce notification" e-mail from my Mailman 2.1.9.
>The unhandled message looks like a "return-receipt" for a read of an orginal
>e-mail sent thru a list managed by Mailman.
>
>I have looked at the header of the e-mail that the reader is sending the
>receipt too.  There is no "Return-Receipt" in the e-mail header.
>Thanks to Cleanse.py it is striped out.

Is there any header that even remotely looks like it's asking for a
delivery receipt? If you haven't done so, try looking at the message
in the archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox file just in case
there was such a header that got removed on it's way to some but not
all recipients.

>The orginal e-mail is generated by "Microsoft Outlook 12.0"
>and the e-mail client generating the receipt is :
>
>Is anyone else seeing "Return-Recipt" e-mail generating uncought bounce notification e-mail?

I haven't seen it on my production lists, and I'm sure some of my users
must be using Outlook.

>Is MS hiding "return-receipt" inside another field, like X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:

That seems unlikely. Perhaps Outlook is sending unrequested receipts,
but that seems unlikely too. Perhaps there is something in the
application/ms-tnef (Winmail.dat) part itself that asks for a receipt.
You could try using content filtering to remove these if you aren't
already.

If you do find a header that's causing this, please let us know as we
definitely want to add it to the list of headers we remove in
Cleanse.py.