[Mailman-Users] Beginner questions

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Sep 29 00:59:15 CEST 2007

On 9/28/07, Chris Arnold wrote:

>>  You could set it up in either place, but it might make more sense to
>>  set it up on the webserver, and have the mail server configured to
>>  forward all mail for those addresses over to the appropriate machine.
>
>  How would you do this? I have mailman setup on the webserver and a list
>  created. This webserver has sendmail installed, if that means anything.

You would set up the forwarding through Zimbra.  Exactly how you do
that will depend on Zimbra and how you administer it.

>>  You will need to control your alias definitions in some way, whether
>>  that's through Zimbra or through the automated methods that Mailman
>>  makes available. However, which solution you choose will depend on
>>  what software you have and which method you prefer.
>
>  Would it be easier to use the automated methods that mailman has? Thanks
>  for your patience

It certainly could be, yes.

One thing you could do is to define a separate
"lists.yourdomain.example.com" entry in your DNS, which points to the
same IP address as your webserver, and has MX records in the DNS
which point to your webserver.  Then when mail comes in for
"listname at lists.yourdomain.example.com", it automatically gets sent
to where it belongs.

This would isolate the Zimbra main mail server on one machine from
the mailing list server on a different machine, and allow you to
easily integrate Mailman with sendmail on the webserver.  That sort
of thing would be covered in the Mailman installation & configuration
documentation, although you'd need to choose which method of
integration you would want to use.