[Mailman-Users] Beginner questions

Chris Arnold carnold at electrichendrix.com
Sun Sep 30 04:21:02 CEST 2007

Mark Sapiro wrote:
> I'm probably as lost as you about what you've done on which machine,
> but here's some basic information.
>
> Each list requires a set of 10 aliases to be installed in the MTA of
> the Mailman machine. In a default installation, they look like the
> following set for a list named 'list'.
>
> list: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post list"
> list-admin: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin list"
> list-bounces: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces list"
> list-confirm: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm list"
> list-join: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman join list"
> list-leave: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman leave list"
> list-owner: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner list"
> list-request: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request list"
> list-subscribe: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe list"
> list-unsubscribe: "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe list"
>
> These aliases allow the MTA on the Mailman machine to pipe mail
> addressed to 'list' and its 'list-*' administrative addresses.
>
> You say you have Postfix installed on the Mailman machine, so if you
> configure Postfix-Mailman integration per
> <http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node13.html>, these aliases
> should be generated automatically as you create lists.

Yes, it is configured per that link and i remember seeing those created
during the install
> The above will allow list mail that reaches Postfix on the Mailman
> machine to be delivered to Mailman.
>
> Now you will need to arrange for list mail from the outside world to be
> delivered to the Mailman machine.
>
> This can be done by having a unique domain or domains for the Mailman
> lists and using DNS to rout that mail to the Mailman machine,
I have public dns with an entry in it for the lists and it points to my
public ip. My firewall then "NAT's" or "PAT's" that connection to the
main mailserver.
>  or if
> list mail is going first to the maim mail server machine, then it
> needs to be told to relay all 10 addresses per list to the Mailman
> machine.
> .

Heres where i am not understanding:

if
list mail is going first to the maim mail server machine, then it
needs to be told to relay all 10 addresses per list to the Mailman
machine.

I don't see how to do that on my mailserver. I can forward to email
addresses but i dont see how to forward to a machine. Of course, sending
mail is fine and i get an email to confirm a subscription.