[Mailman-Users] alias question...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Apr 1 04:59:31 CEST 2008

Dov Oxenberg wrote:

> Apparently the target files/folders on my system are under
> /var/lib/mailman/.  So, thanks to your help I have now overcome this
> hurdle.  And yes, I had postfix set as the value for MTA.
> I am now stepping through all the troubleshooting steps in the mailman
> FAQ here
> http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.078.htp
> <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.078.htp> as
> I am not able to see pending requests in the web interface and not
> receiving mail from the list, any kind of mail (also not seeing the logo
> images, just the placeholders).

Did you add hash:/var/lib/mailman/date/aliases to the alias_maps setting
in your Postfix main.cf?

> What is strange is that in the graphical web based administration
> interface to my VPS, all the permissions appear set correctly, as far
> as I know, on /var/lib/mailman because I am seeing list as the group and
> root as the user on all the directories.  As far as the user, list is
> only on locks and qfiles.
> When I originally ran check_perms it returned something like 80 "errors"
> so I ran it again with the -f flag and am now getting 11 errors, but
> only in the command line!  When I again run check_perms -f it still
> reports back the same 11 "errors" as in:
> /var/lib/mailman/logs bad group (has: root; expected list) (fixing) and
> so forth through the remaining 10 directories.
> I have rebooted the machine but still appear to be stuck in the
> loop....any ideas???

I have no idea why your file management GUI would show you one thing and
check_perms something else. what does command line "ls -l" show?

Are you running check_perms as root? If so, and for whatever reason,
check_perms doesn't fix it, you can always do

chgrp list /var/lib/mailman/*

Also, if your Mailman user:group is list:list, that is what you should
set the user:group of /var/lib/mailman/data/aliases* to.

See the section just below the warning box at
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node10.html> for some information
on icons, although the default setting IMAGE_LOGOS = '/icons/' seems to
be correct for many apache installations.