[Mailman-Users] alias question...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Apr 1 17:56:32 CEST 2008

Dov Oxenberg wrote:
> Here is the line from my main.cf:
> alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases, hash:/etc/mail/aliases, hash:/var/lib/mailman/data/aliases
> The results of my ls -l, which by the way I had looked at earlier also
> and neglected to mention, are illustrated in the attached screen shot.
> I see the system thinks the group membership is root rather than list,
> is that about right?

[Note: the screenshot was output from ls -l of /var/lib/mailman showing
7 actual subdirectories and 11 symlinks to to directories in other places.]

The /var/lib/mailman/* things whose ownership you can't change are
symlinks to other directories. The fact that chgrp doesn't 'work' is
normal because it changes the group of the target, not that of the
symlink itself.

This is an unusual way of installing Mailman, but it should be OK. You
can just ignore the errors from check_perms in this case. But, this all
indicates your Mailman is an unusual package, so our installation
manual, FAQ, etc. may not be completely relevant.

The real issue appears to be the fact that there is a
/var/lib/mailman/messages directory, and it appears from its link count
to have 32 subdirectories. This suggests that your package might be
setup to use Mailman's 'Maildir' delivery instead of aliases (but again
in a non-standard way). I'm guessing that that's where your messages
are, and MaildirRunner or whatever is supposed to process them on the
Mailman side is not running.

You need to do one of two things. Either, go to documentation and
support resources specific to your OS and Mailman package for help, or
rip it all out and install a standard Mailman distribution.