[Mailman-Users] Preventing Attachments

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Apr 2 22:47:29 CEST 2008

Aaron Gray wrote:

>Before installing MailMan I want to know if there is an admin option for either disallowing attachments, ie removing them or bouncing messages if they have an attachment.

In short, Mailman has content filtering based on MIME type and also
attachment filename extension.

You can for example disallow any mime multipart messages whatsoever and
allow only text/plain messages, but that's pretty extreme because some
people won't be able to figure out how to send text/plain only as
opposed to multipart/alternative.

You can allow multipart messages and only allow the text/plain parts
therefrom and remove the rest, and this is probably close to what you
want, but technically, it is not disallowing 'attachments' because it
will allow 'attachments' of type text/plain.