[Mailman-Users] drop spam solution

Michael Geiger gege at mgeiger.de
Tue Apr 15 08:25:03 CEST 2008

I just want to let you know how I solved the spam problem on my server
and reduced the mail load dramatically:

Mails arriving on my server get tagged by spamassassin before they reach
postfix -> spamassassin -> postfix -> mailman
(see http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/IntegratedSpamdInPostfix)

I changed my mailman installation (in /opt/mailman) this way:

In directory /opt/mailman/mail:

1. move mailman to mailman-org

2. create a new wrapper-script "mailman" (chown mailman:mailman, chmod 755):
----- BEGIN -----
/usr/bin/procmail -m /opt/mailman/mail/mailman.procmailrc $*

3. create the file "mailman.procmailrc" (chown mailman:mailman, chmod 644):
* ^X-Spam-Flag:.+YES

|/opt/mailman/mail/mailman-org $1 $2

Now every mail that gets tagged as spam by sa will be dropped by
procmail, even those annoying mails to -owner. And no more backscatter
from your list!!