[Mailman-Users] sync_members script

Zbigniew Szalbot zszalbot at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 18:36:19 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 09:29:57 -0700, Dragon <dragon at crimson-dragon.com>
wrote:
> Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>Just wanted to ask how you manage the following situation:
>>
>>There is a list of people you keep in an sql database. This database is
>>edited/updated daily. From time to time you want to contact these people,
>>so you export them as a flat file and import into Mailman (for example by
>>using sync_members script).
>>
>>You do the mailing and some addresses are removed from Mailman. When you
>>next time sync members from you sql database with Mailman, the
> sync_members
>>script will add the previously removed members again, won't it (as they
>>will not exist in mailman but will be in a flat file exported from sql
>>database)?
>>
>>How do you handle this situation? When you get information about
>>Mailman-unsubscribed emails, do you remove them then from your sql
>>database? Is there any other way round it?
>>
>>Thanks!
>>
>>Zbigniew Szalbot
> ---------------- End original message. ---------------------
>
> If you are running a responsible opt-in mailing list, I think it is
> your responsibility to make sure that the unsubscribes are propagated
> back into your SQL database.

Absolutely - I was just hoping I wouldn't have to do it by hand... Sure if
I had the unsubscribed addresses in a flat file, it would be easy to run an
sql query to remove them from the sql database. I am just not thrilled
about opening each unsbuscribed message and copying the email address into
a file.

Thanks!

Zbigniew Szalbot