[Mailman-Users] Messages remain in spool/mailman/in

Sebastian Hagedorn Hagedorn at uni-koeln.de
Thu Apr 24 17:47:47 CEST 2008

--On 24. April 2008 07:38:14 -0700 Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net> wrote:

> I'd like to know how to avoid such a
> situation. Would slices have helped here?
>

> No. Slicing would make things worse by increasing lock contention.

OK, thanks.

> Since
> all the posts were for one list, and since the list is locked by
> IncomingRunner for the entire duration of it's processing of a message,
> slicing wouldn't help. It normally helps by increasing parallelism, but
> only if the load is across multiple lists so the the sliced runners
> aren't blocking each other.

With only 2 to 3 messages per minute under normal conditions that doesn't
seem to be necessary for us.

> In this case, IncomingRunner was doing the best that could be done. I
> see that VirginRunner was involved in the locking, so perhaps these
> messages were being held and moderator notices were being generated.
> Then perhaps a moderator went to the admindb interface, which can keep a
> list locked for a long time if it is processing a large list of requests.

Ah, I wasn't even aware of that. Anyway, they promised not do it like that
anymore, so I guess we're fine. Thanks for your help!
--
     .:.Sebastian Hagedorn - RZKR-R1 (Gebäude 52), Zimmer 18.:.
Zentrum für angewandte Informatik - Universitätsweiter Service RRZK