[Mailman-Users] Complaining Outlook users

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Aug 3 19:49:07 CEST 2008

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>To be honest, that's exactly what "on behalf of" means, anyway, so I
>don't understand why there's a problem here unless Outlook defaults to
>reply-to-Sender rather than reply-to-From.

I've never used Outlook. I have no personal knowledge of this, but my
impression is thae following:

Mailman sends a post From: poster at example.com with Sender:
list-bounces at example.com.

Outlook displays the message as

From: list-bounces at example.com on behalf of poster at example.com

This is wrong. It would be more accurate if Outlook displayed

Sender: list-bounces at example.com on behalf of poster at example.com

but I don't know if that would make much difference to the user.

Also, it seems from what I see, that at least some Outlook clients do
reply_to_Sender rather than reply-to-From which is a problem.

Another problem is that some users get confused by "bounces" and think
it means something is wrong. list-owner at example.com might be more
acceptable.