[Mailman-Users] Mailman not recognizing some bounces?

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Tue Aug 26 20:39:19 CEST 2008

skip at pobox.com wrote:

> I've been working on the SpamBayes filtering on mail.python.org for a couple
> weeks.  Now that the training database has matured a bit for the most part
> the unsures I see now seem to be bounce messages for a handful of mailing
> list subscribers which Mailman doesn't handle automatically.  The most
> problematic domains are rediffmail.com, big.or.jp, 163.com, ospaz.ru and
> 126.com.  The bounce messages from 163.com and 126.com (and I think
> big.or.jp) are written in the native character sets (Chinese or Japanese),
> so I can understand if Mailman doesn't recognize them.  I'm not sure what
> the problem is with the others.

That would be a question primarily for Mark Sapiro, Tokio Kikuchi, or Barry
Warsaw.

> Is this a known issue with Mailman?  Are there workarounds?  We're running
> 2.1.10.

I know there are some bounce formats that Mailman doesn't properly handle,
because I get them as the primary active listowner for the various mailman-*
mailing lists on python.org, but I've been so busy that I haven't tried to
do much of anything with them.

I will be installing 2.1.11 soon.