[Mailman-Users] Subscribing other lists to a list.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Dec 9 19:55:51 CET 2008

Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:

>On Sat, 6 Dec 2008, Mark Sapiro wrote:
>
>> Digest members of the -discuss list will not receive the message unless
>> they are also members of the -announce list.
>
>I'd have to assume there's something internal that makes this necessary --
>I'm curious as to how much tweaking it would take to fix (i.e. make it so
>digest members receive the announcement, either in their digest or
>separately).

It is not any kind of internal requirement or convenience. It is a
design of the feature. The feature is intended to be used for parallel
discussion lists and it wouldn't be appropriate for digest members to
receive individual messages from a sibling discussion list.

To include digest members so they receive the announcement (separately;
not in the digest), you could locate the following lines at the end of
the definition of do_include at the very end of
Mailman/Handlers/CalcRecips.py

        srecips = set([slist.getMemberCPAddress(m)
                   for m in slist.getRegularMemberKeys()
                   if slist.getDeliveryStatus(m) == ENABLED])
        recips |= srecips
    return list(recips)

and change getRegularMemberKeys() to getMembers() so the lines become

        srecips = set([slist.getMemberCPAddress(m)
                   for m in slist.getMembers()
                   if slist.getDeliveryStatus(m) == ENABLED])
        recips |= srecips
    return list(recips)

Of course, this change would affect all lists with
regular_include_lists and might not be appropriate for other than the
-announce/-discuss scenario.