[Mailman-Users] Mailman Cron question

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Feb 4 17:33:09 CET 2008

Marvin Raab wrote:

>I've setup ver. 2.1.9 on Fedora 8. I used yum to install (can't find
>'configure' but that's not really my question) and configured it using the
>docs on the website including the cron section:
>% cd $prefix/cron
>% crontab -u mailman crontab.in

That's your problem. As Stephen points out, when you install a package
via yum, you should not then go to the documentation for installing
the source distribution.

The crontab.in in your package is designed to be installed in
/etc/cron.d/mailman, and in fact, yum may have already put it there.

Again, as Stephen points out, if you install this crontab.in via the
crontab command (which puts it in /var/spool/cron/mailman), you have
to remove the 'mailman' from between the times and the command.

BTW, don't do this without first verifying that there is no
/etc/cron.d/mailman.

>I did search through some of this lists archives but didn't see this
>particular problem.

It's discussed many times. See
<http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Amail.python.org++inurl%3Amailman++crontab+%22mailman%3A+command+not+found%22>.

In particular, see