[Mailman-Users] Outgoing qrunner stops working and outgoingmails get stuck

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Feb 7 02:36:11 CET 2008

SP wrote:

> In fact so far my solution to the problem has been a cron job which
> sends a SIGHUP signal to outgoin runner once a day at a fixed time, just
> to fix the situation in case something was wrong, and sometimes in
> correspondece to the time of that cron job I can find a similar entry in
> the error log.

I think these are when OutgoingRunner is stuck waiting for it's connect
attempt to complete, and then the signal interrupts the connect and
causes the 'errors'.

> I read in some other posts in this list that possibly a cron job like
> this is not a good idea since it can happens that the runner is busy
> when it receives the signal, but so far this is the only (partial and
> easy) cure I can think of... :-)

I actually think this is unlikely. After all, 'mailmanctl reopen' does
the same thing to all the runners, and is normally done weekly or on
whatever schedule you rotate logs, and this doesn't seem to create problems.