[Mailman-Users] bug in Mailman 2.1.4

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Feb 13 18:03:00 CET 2008

Myron Kowalski wrote:

>One of my users sent me this message that he got when he tried to
>approve a message to
>his list. As far as I can tell, all my other lists, including his, are
>working well. Any help on
>what I should be looking for?
>

>Bug in Mailman version 2.1.4
>
>We're sorry, we hit a bug!
>
>If you would like to help us identify the problem, please email a copy
>of this page to the webmaster for this site with a description of what
>happened. Thanks!
>Traceback:
>
>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/users/mailman/scripts/driver", line 87, in run_main
>    main()
>  File "/users/mailman/Mailman/Cgi/admindb.py", line 166, in main
>    if not mlist.NumRequestsPending():
>  File "/users/mailman/Mailman/ListAdmin.py", line 147, in
>  NumRequestsPending
>    self.__opendb()
>  File "/users/mailman/Mailman/ListAdmin.py", line 82, in __opendb
>    self.__db = marshal.load(fp)
>MemoryError

The CGI process is being denied sufficient memory for Python to load
the date from lists/<listname>/request.db.

My best guess is this file is huge and there are many held messages for
this list.

Look in Mailman's data/ directory for files named heldmsg-<listname>-*.
If there are lots, delete some of the oldest ones with

  bin/delete data/heldmsg...

Use bin/delete instead of just rm so that they will also be removed
from request.db.

If you can't get request.db down to a manageable size in this way, you
may just have to rm it and start over, but this will lose all current
requests from the admindb interface.