[Mailman-Users] Mailman postings deferred by Yahoo

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Feb 21 06:42:01 CET 2008

On 2/21/08, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>  C'mon, Mark, you know that the only problem here is that there's no
>  accepted standard; they have to authenticate "you" somehow (do you
>  really want me to be able to spoof you and get information about your
>  mail to Yahoo customers?), and the right "you" to authenticate is the
>  apparent source of allegedly objectionable mail.  So it's going to be
>  SPF or DomainKeys or something like that.

But SPF (and similar technologies) and DomainKeys (and similar
technologies) are both inherently broken in the general case.  Sure,
there are specific cases where sites like BankOfAmerica.com can use
them (and to everyone's benefit), but they're too easy to set up
incorrectly (on both sides), and they break too many other parts of
how e-mail is supposed to work.