[Mailman-Users] Mailman postings deferred by Yahoo

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Fri Feb 22 05:24:01 CET 2008

Attila Kinali writes:

 > It's still not graylisting.  [...]  The "refused to talk to me"
 > makes it clear that my server didn't even get a greeting, but above
 > error message instead. So, yahoo doesn't even know who the sender
 > or recipient is. Ie, the whole thing is IP based.

OK, that's a lot more punitive than they make it sound.

 > > The problem that Yahoo faces is that not only is their hardware
 > > distributed, so is their wetware.  It's a lot easier for one person to
 > > handle a few clues about the easy problems that one person can handle
 > > than for an organization to deal with many clues about the much harder
 > > problems of scaling to Yahoo size.
 >
 > I know it's not easy. I see what kind of problems i have with only
 > one domain. But yahoo could at least talk to me in a proper way so
 > that we could find a solution together.

You're anthropomorphizing.  There *is no Yahoo* that can talk to you
in a proper way.  Only employees.  Look at it this way: a bureaucracy
*is* like a machine, so designing an organization in which the
employees behave like human beings toward non-paying-customers is very
similar to writing a good UI for a large program --- but orders of
magnitude harder.  And you know how hard UI is.

I dunno, it sounds like all we can really do is boycott Yahoo, as you
suggested in the first place.  Whether they'll care, I don't know.