[Mailman-Users] Adding old (majordomo) postings to a Mailman archive

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Feb 29 19:21:34 CET 2008

Visvanath Ratnaweera wrote:

>Before changing to Mailman our list ran on majordomo. I still
>have those postings, in my IMAP mailbox, as a seperate directory.
>
>My question is, how can I add those postings to the running list?

You first need to convert (concatenate) the messages into a Unix mbox
format file. Then you can check the mbox with bin/cleanarch and add
its contents to your archive with bin/arch.

>Chronological overlap is minimal. Only for the final month there
>are postings on both sides. Even if I have to delete the ones from
>the old archive, that's not a problem.

You don't need to delete anything. If the same post was sent to both
lists with the same message-id:, it will only appear once in the
pipermail archive.

You may or may not wish to combine the majordomo mbox with the
archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox Mailman file to create a
single archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox file containing
all messages, and then run bin/arch --wipe to rebuild the archive
completely. This is not necessary, but if you simply add the old
messages at this point, it will not be possible to rebuild the archive
in the future without having message numbers reassigned, thus
invalidating any saved archive URLs.