[Mailman-Users] Bounce Message, ReturnPath/ErrorsTo issue

Michael Kabot mkabot at soarol.com
Thu Jul 3 16:43:00 CEST 2008

Mark,

My apologies, I should have noted that
 - I have Bounce Processing turned off
 - I have the -bounces address forwarding to the -owner address.  With
Bounce Processing off I still needed bounce messages to go back to the list
owner
     |/var/qmail/bin/preline /var/qmail/bin/mm_wrapper
/usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman
       owner [LISTNAME]

Neither [RIGHTDOMAIN.COM] or [WRONGDOMAIN.COM] are the domain of the
'mailman' site list.  [WRONGDOMAIN.COM] is coincidentally the last
add_virtualhost line of my config file.

Where in the code are these being added to the -owner address?

| >Date: 2 Jul 2008 14:46:34 -0400
| >From: MAILER-DAEMON@[MAIL.RIGHTDOMAIN.COM]
| >To: [LISTNAME]-bounces@[RIGHTDOMAIN.COM]
| >Subject: failure notice
|

| And the header below may have also been added by Mailman in resending.

| The thing that's strange in all the above is that Mailman (at least
| standard GNU Mailman) doesn't redirect bounces like this. It sends a
| totally new message to the list owner with the original bounce
| attached.
|
| Also, assuming [BADEMAIL ADDRESS]: in the notice was enclosed in <> as
| in <bad at example.com>:, it would not have been an unrecognized bounce
| in 2.1.9.
|
| Is this Mailman 2.1.9 installed from our distribution, or is it a Plesk
| or other package?

I think the modification of -bounces to -owner and Bounce Processing turned
off would explain the format above.

In Service,

Michael Kabot
President - SOAR