[Mailman-Users] Feature Request: Selective Mass Subscription

Zbigniew Szalbot z.szalbot at lcwords.com
Fri Jul 11 10:18:18 CEST 2008

Hi all,

> I have to disagree.  Anything that can be done with the Mailman "mass
>  subscribe" feature can be done just as effectively with a contact
> list on Gmail, in theory.[1]  It's other aspects of Gmail policy that
> (so far at least) make that a small enough problem that I've never
> considered filtering on "^(From|Sender):.*@gmail\.com".

Quite a long thread but important issues on their own. Let me just make
one point. I think that we're really talking about two contexts:

1/ Mailman as a discussion list - like the one we're having here. I
don't imagine spammers would be setting up their lists as discussion
list, would they? I don't actually imagine big time spammers using
mailman. They're all about botnets.

2/ Mailman as a newsletter/announcement list.
I can't sponsor the developers (sad but true) but I'd love to see
Mailman giving me an option to create either discussion or announcement
list with pre-set features for each of them. One of these pre-sets could
be in fact the presence or absence of mass-subscribe feature defined per
list during list creation.

If I don't really know the people I am giving a list to administer, I
would be tempted, especially with an announcement list, to turn off mass
subscribe feature.

Mailman is getting better and better no doubt about it. However, if I
understand the current trends, discussion lists are dropped in favour of
online forums and newsletter/marketing tools are more and more sought
after. This is a market to gain for Mailman but it currently lacks a few
features to do that. Well, my post is slowly getting off topic so I will
just wrap it up by thanking the developers for a very good software I am
able to use!

Regards,

--
Zbigniew Szalbot