[Mailman-Users] Feature Request: Selective Mass Subscription

Don Forbes forbesd at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 00:38:24 CEST 2008

> Cyndi Norwitz wrote:

> P.S. I still don't understand why they insist on an invite model.

> Because all it takes is one listowner that doesn't understand and does a
> mass subscribe of a number of people, some of those people complain and then
> the entire ISP gets blacklisted.  And some blacklists you simply cannot
> *EVER* get them to remove you.
>
> Personally, I would be happy to see the "mass subscribe" feature go away
> completely from the web interface of Mailman, or at least disabled by
> default.  But then I've been fighting spam since the time I was the Sr.
> Internet Mail Administrator at AOL in '95, and this is a subject that I feel
> very strongly about.
>
> --

Brad does a good job here of explaining a key point that is often
overlooked, but must be a top priority when you're entrusted with the
administration of a list server(s) and the integrity reputation of the
IP addresses associated with it, all while looking after the greater
good of your company, institution, etc.

--
Don