[Mailman-Users] moderation rejection notices, etc.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Jul 26 17:31:09 CEST 2008

Michael Welch wrote:

> 2. When I reject a moderated message with an explanation, the
> rejection note comes from listname-bounces@ . So when the member
> replies to that message, it sends me a note saying that it received
> an unrecognized bounce, and buried in the note is the member's
> response.
>
> Shouldn't rejected & annotated messages come from listname-admin@
> instead? I bet there is a good reason for this that I do not know.

Brad has already responded to 1., 3. and 4. As far as 2. is concerned,
you raise a good point, although you mean the messages should be From:
listname-owner at .... listname-admin at ... is actually a deprecated
synonym for listname-bounces at ...

I don't think there is a good reason for the reject to come from
listname-bounces at ....

This came about in the implementation of automated bounce processing in
Mailman 2.1. Prior to 2.1, the list owner address was
listname-admin at .... This address was also used as the envelope sender
of messages so bounces would return to the list owner for attention.
With automated bounce processing, the envelope sender was changed to
listname-bounces at ..., and the listname-admin at ..., was deprecated in
favor of listname-owner at ... and processed the same as
listname-bounces at ....

At that point, the processing of refusal messages was changed. The
intent was that replies go to the owner. In fact the log message for
the change says

  __refuse(): In the refuse.txt, use the -owner address as the
  %(adminaddr)s expansion so that when the human acts on this message,
  they'll contact a human without going through the bounce processor.

The actual change
<http://mailman.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/mailman?view=rev&revision=5019>
changed the address inserted into the text of the refusal to the
listname-owner at ... address, but it changed the From: to the
listname-bounces at ... address.

I think this was a mistake. I'm Ccing mailman-developers in case
someone remembers some reason for this, but barring objection, I'll
change it for the next release.