[Mailman-Users] header showing in message body, moderation notifications

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jul 29 21:22:45 CEST 2008

Mark Sapiro wrote:

>Michael Welch wrote:
>>
>>Mark Sapiro wrote at 06:17 PM 7/28/2008:
>>
>>>Does this happen to all messages from Mailman?
>>
>>No, only to the ones that do not have the Content headers above the Sender and Errors-To headers.
>>
>>>What do all the headers (including part headers) of the entire raw
>>>message look like?
>>
>>Not sure about "raw," but here is one of the problem messages with Eudora's "Show All Headers" turned on, including through the first line of the message body:
>>
>><snip>
>>From: "xxxxxx" <xxxx at xxxx.com>
>>To: <xxx at xxxxxxx>,
>>        "'RE-wrenches'" <re-wrenches at lists.re-wrenches.org>
><snip>
>>Sender: re-wrenches-bounces at lists.re-wrenches.org

>>TSP is TriSodium Phosphate.
>

>So. I suspect the actual message structure is:
>
>multipart/mixed
>    multipart/alternative
>        text/plain
>        text/html
>    some-other-parts
>
>and Eudora is showing you the text/plain part and not its headers, but
>is not suppressing the part headers for the multipart/alternative part.
>
>Can you find this message in the eudora mailbox? If so, that should be
>the raw message.

I have done some experimenting with Eudora 7.1.0.9, and have discovered
the following:

1)Eudora does properly parse a message with the above structure, so it
doesn't appear to be a Eudora rendering problem.

2)Eudora does not keep the raw message in In.mbx or apparently
anywhere. The message in In.mbx is a Eudora rendered message without
any part headers and with only the displayed alternatives. Thus it is
pretty much useless for seeing the actual mime structure of a message.