[Mailman-Users] Mailman Address Format

Carlos Williams carloswill at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 14:46:32 CEST 2008

I was wondering why when something is sent to a mailman alias address
is the actual email address manipulated to show a different non
existing address.

For example, I create a mailman group "everyone" so now people can
email <everyone at example.com> and when the users get an email from that
group, they see the following header info:

Return Path = <everyone-bounces at example.com>
X-Original-To = <everyone at example.com>
Delivered-To = <everyone at example.com>

So when people see this, they attempt to send back to
everyone-bounces at example.com and of course the email is rejected
because that address does not exist. I as an email administrator
understand how to read the header but most common users don't and
almost always send to the wrong address. They become frustrated and
annoyed with Mailman and want this fixed. I explain to them to not
copy and paste the email address but rather to simply reply to all or
reply to sender.

Why does mailman do this? I don't understand the "bounce" parameter
and or why it does not show its from "everyone at example.com".

Thanks for any clarification or info on how to resolve this.

--
Man your battle stations...