[Mailman-Users] Problems with the who command (migrating lists FAQ)

Allan Odgaard 8qbfgka02 at sneakemail.com
Tue Jun 17 04:49:53 CEST 2008

I followed the FAQ¹ and sent a `who «password»` to my old list (where
I am administrator). This scheme had the following problems:

  1. All user settings are lost (digest, no email, etc.).
  2. It does not return subscribers with concealed identity (hide).
  3. User names with accents came through mangled.

I expected #1 but not #2 (as I can see these users in the web UI with
my admin passwords).

To solve #3 I had to set my old list to Serbian. This changed encoding
from us-ascii to utf-8 and caused the user names to be emailed without
the mangling.

I suggest updating the FAQ and/or improve the `who` command to return
concealed users to the list administrator. Would also be nice if the
mass subscribe could optionally take per user settings and `who` would
return these.

¹ http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=all#3.4

Using Mailman 2.1.9 (Ubuntu installation).