[Mailman-Users] List suddenly went anonymous

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Jun 17 23:50:13 CEST 2008

david.weber at l-3com.com wrote:

>The anonymous_list is set to "No", and changing it to "Yes" makes posts
>in the archive anonymous too (presently, only the emails are anonymous,
>not the archive).  Changing it back from "Yes" to "No" shows the exact
>same behavior as well.

This makes me suspect the MTA. See <http://wiki.list.org/x/uYA9>
although that isn't exactly your situation.

The only place Mailman manipulates the From: header is in
Mailman/Handlers/Cleanse.py for anonymous lists and this happens
before the message is archived.

>Thinking about it, if mailman is written in python, could the *.pyc
>files have been corrupted?  I've them do some weird things elsewhere on
>stuff I've personally written.

If the problem were a .pyc, and it didn't just throw exceptions, it
would probably affect all lists. In any case, you could just do
something like

 find /path/to/mailman -name \*.pyc -exec rm "{}" \;

to remove all the .pyc files and restart mailman. In fact, if you
haven't restarted mailman, you could just try that in case one of the
qrunners somehow got corrupted.