[Mailman-Users] Encoding problems

Allan Odgaard 8qbfgka02 at sneakemail.com
Wed Jun 18 11:51:20 CEST 2008

I don’t think Mailman should use `sys.getdefaultencoding()`. See <http://wiki.python.org/moin/DefaultEncoding
 >. I think instead `locale.getdefaultlocale()` should be used for the
CLI commands.

>> ## Mailing List
>>
>> The mailing list letters are correct _except_ that the body now
>> contains this:

>> And yes, each letter sent to the list is converted into base64.
>
> Again, this is the Python email library. If you prefer
> quoted-printable, set the language's charset to iso-8859-1.

But I occasionally use stuff that cannot be represented in latin-1…
(like this line)

Anyway, point taken, Python MIME library is at fault and I will direct
my concern to the maintainers of this.

Though I don’t understand why Mailman has to re-encode all letters to
the list encoding. Hopefully it will only do so when the list encoding
can actually represent the letter!?!

> [...]
> Did you restart Mailman after removing
>
>     add_language('en', 'English', 'utf-8')
>
> from mm_cfg.py? If so, and you're still getting utf-8 encoded list
> mail, the incoming posts are probably utf-8 encoded.

I must have not restarted at the proper time while testing, cause now
I can get it work, i.e. messages now arrive without being base64.