[Mailman-Users] Web UI request

Cyndi Norwitz cyndi at tikvah.com
Thu Jun 19 20:10:46 CEST 2008

   Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 22:54:04 -0500
   From: Brad Knowles <brad at shub-internet.org>

   On 6/18/08, Cyndi Norwitz wrote:
   >  I second this.  Subscribers losing their password and asking me to make
   >  changes for them is one of my biggest timesinks, outside of moderation.

   I don't molly-coddle users.  If they can't figure out for themselves
   how to get their password sent to them, that's their problem.

:-)  I take a middle approach.  I tell them to log on to the site
(sometimes I'll cut and paste the link, sometimes I just say look on the
bottom of any post) and they can get their password from there.  If they
have an overridding circomstance, are really too disabled and computer
illiterate to follow such directions, or have honestly tried and failed,
then I try to help them.

But just replying to the letters and such can take a lot of time, if there
are several.  It was also a big issue because for a long time I didn't know
that the password could be sent to someone more than monthly.  I always
changed mine to ones I memorized and it's not obvious on the login page.

   But then I'm in a position where it's probably a lot easier for me to
   do that for me and my user base as compared to you and your user
   base.  ;-)

Yep.  Part of running a support group for people with disabilities is that
you can't assume they all have solid computer skills, their own computers,
or the ability to figure it all out.

Cyndi