[Mailman-Users] Muti-Mailman install

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jun 20 16:38:55 CEST 2008

Charles Marcus wrote:

>*My* point was simply pointing out that there *is a preference setting*
>in the Mailman GUI for changing this, so if someone *wants* to change
>it, they obviously *can* - so what difference does the *default* make?

There is also an mm_cfg.py setting to override the default for new
lists, but the fact remains that many people, even competent people,
are busy and don't have time to research every setting and option, so
they tend to go with defaults until there is a problem. That's why the
choice of default is important to many people.

<snip>
>In fact, I must do this a little of this when participating *on this
>list*. First, I have to hit 'Reply All' to get the list address in the
>CC field, then I change the 'CC' to 'To', then *delete* the *posters*
>email address so that they don't get a duplicate - which, by the way, I
>notice you don't have the courtesy to do.

It is not a matter of courtesy. There are many arguments for not
editing out the addiditional recipients including:
 - one or more may be a reply-to that is not a list member address but
an address the poster wants the mail to go to, and similarly for Ccs.
 - the poster may be a digest member and Ccing back to the poster keeps
that person in the loop.

Note that Mailman will remove addresses from Cc: if they are list
members with 'nodupes' set.