[Mailman-Users] mailing list filtered as spam

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Jun 27 05:01:28 CEST 2008

jeff zemla wrote:

>Hmm I really don't know that much about this stuff.  Does this really affect
>me?  I'm not looking for the "be all end all" of spam, as you say.  At
>least, not spam at large.

Yes. It may well affect you.

>Really, I have no problem sending e-mails from my domain because I do that
>through Gmail.
>
>The only time when my mail gets filtered as Spam is when I send out messages
>on my announce-only mailing list.  So as long as it continues to keep my
>announcements out of users' spam boxes, I'm happy.
>
>Should I be worried?

The addition of DKIM or domain keys to your outbound list mail clearly
helps get your mail through to those direct recipients whose services
like gmail or yahoo check DKIM or domainkey signatures and treat mail
with valid signatures favorably.

Since yours is an announce only list, you don't have to worry about the
signatures on incoming mail being invalidated by things the list does
to the message.

The problem in your case is when someone at alumni.example.edu subscribes
to your list and alumni.example.edu, which is just a forwarding
service, forwards that mail to sombody at gmail.com, the signature may
now be invalid because the IP that the message came to gmail from is
that of alumni.example.com, not your IP that signed the mail or
because of other transformations to the message by the forwarding
service. Gmail may consider this to be worse than if the mail was
unsigned.