[Mailman-Users] any way to batch unsubscribe notifications?

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 03:30:46 CET 2008

I'm working for a friend who asked me to set up mailman (2.1.9 on
Fedora Core 7) to replace a home-grown list server for one of his
clients. It's a small non-profit that has a little web-based
membership admin tool. For various reasons, they update the mailman
list with an export from the membership db. I have that working with
sync_members on a nightly basis. They then send out messages once a
week or so (the list is not a discussion, just for announcements).

They need a way to know when an address is bad, so they can go back
and fix or remove those bad addresses, in the membership db.

What I've done so far, which works almost perfectly, is to set up
automatic bounce processing to unsubscribe an address (with no
warnings) when its bounce score is 1.0, i.e., after any fatal error.
Then I have mailman notify the list admin of the unsubscribe, so he
can go and make the correction in the database.

The only problem is that a lot of their addresses are collected
manually, so there can be a lot of failures. Mailman sends these one
at a time, i.e. one unsubscribed address per notification message, and
not really all at once (although I'm sure that depends on how quickly
the bounce message comes back, too). Is it possible to get mailman to
batch the unsubscribed addresses once per day, and send them all out
in a single daily report? Or is there some other way to do this that
would work better than what I've come up with?

Thanks a lot,
Matt